Should the Words England & Wales be Included after the Types of Licence that are Offered to Contributors? (10 December 2010)

Question - Should the words England & Wales be included after the types of licence that are offered to contributors? Will this put potential contributors off? What are the implications if these words are left off? We have a lot of resources from Scotland.

There are, in fact, distinct, jurisdiction-specific versions of the CC licences at -

The choice is probably best made according to the likely user body of the materials, noting that adopting one jurisdictional flavour of the CC licence won’t preclude anyone from a different jurisdiction using them. So, if the audience is likely to be mixed and worldwide, the unported licence might be most appropriate. If, for example, the resource is about domestic Scottish law, then I’d imagine most of the audience will be in Scotland – it might then suit to use the specific UK: Scotland licence.

There isn’t actually a lot of difference between the jurisdictional licences – it’s mostly an adoption of the local legal terminology (e.g. assignation v assignment) and dovetailing with exceptions and other bits of law (e.g. the treatment of third party rights).

In short, it’s not an issue likely to have huge repercussions. And the factors to be taken into account when deciding what version of the licence to use are: a) jurisdiction of the target audience, b) your jurisdiction, c) jurisdiction/preference of the repository.

Posted on 10/12/2010

Jisc Legal has now closed, and this website is now archived.

Technology and the law support is now provided by Jisc.  Contact, or call 0203 006 6077.